Click here to join

Attention: 2016/2017 Lagos state poly. Aspirant

We now have whatsapp group for you guys to relate with other aspirant and our team for all gist/assistant regarding the above stated school...

Lenovo Laptop on Promo (Konga)

Lenovo Laptop on Promo (Konga)
Click image for details

Saturday 27 June 2015

Fulfilment Meet LAUTECH's best graduating student

Ojo Abimbola, 27, was the best graduating student from the Department of Medicine and Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Science and Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State, in the 2013/2014 academic session, Punch reports.
In this interview, she reveals her dreams, motivation, and shares advice on how to be successful.
What was your attraction for Medicine?
Mine started as a childhood dream, just as many other children used to echo it when asked what they would like to be in future. As I grew older, I had interest in health related sciences (medicine, nursing and pharmacy). By the time I finished secondary school, I knew I would study medicine because I wanted to help save lives. Then, my parents indirectly influenced me, not in a forceful manner though. My dad is a pharmacist, so I saw how his profession gave him the opportunity to help others; not only their health but also in every other area of life, like counselling. I used to visit the hospital where he worked and I think those visits partly inspired me to be a doctor. So, when I told him my wish, he encouraged and supported me. Medicine gives one an opportunity to impact lives, so I love it.
What about the fact that it is not as lucrative as some other courses that are less difficult?
In my view, Medicine is more of a help ministry than a lucrative business. Most of those who need the service of doctors, especially in this part of the world, cannot afford it due to poverty. Most people think doctors are rich but I think that has changed. Politicians and business tycoons are richer in our own country. However, being a doctor gives one a fairly comfortable life, which is good enough. So, I am not worried that Medicine may not be as rewarding monetarily but being able to help others is pretty rewarding, and like our teachers would say, ‘be a good doctor first, the money will come later.’ Someone who studied Medicine thinking it is lucrative may end up being disappointed because the pay may not be commensurate with the time and effort invested.
But some people think that only brilliant students can study Medicine. From your experience, is that true?
Any student that has the interest, well motivated and diligent in whatever he or she does can study medicine. One doesn’t need to be very brilliant to do it. It’s an erroneous view that only the best students in secondary schools should be admitted into medicine. The main qualities that I think are needed to be a good medical student are interest, diligence and consistency.
How was your performance in your previous schools?
It was quite easy. I was the best graduating student in my secondary school. I passed my West African Senior School Certificate Examination once; I had distinction in all the subjects. I wrote the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination twice but I passed on both occasions. The first one I scored 256, and the second time I scored 280. I had to write UTME twice because the first time I wrote the exam, I chose Ekiti State University. I was actually offered Medicine and Surgery but that was the time the state government decided to cancel the medical programme in the university, so I lost the admission that year. It wasn’t a nice experience but I had to rewrite UTME the following year and applied to LAUTECH. My name was on the merit list.
How was the experience the first time you had to work on a cadaver (dead body)?
I don’t think there was anything spectacular. People do have funny stories whether real or imagined (mostly imagined) about cadavers but I told myself that if the cadaver was to try anything funny, like rising up, I wouldn’t be there to witness it. I also felt that because I wasn’t responsible for the person’s death, the cadaver would have no right to harass me. Eventually, none of the cadavers tried anything funny. That first experience opened my eyes to see how helpless human beings are once there is no breath in us again. It was an eye-opener. So, unlike what some people used to say, I didn’t have any bad dream or lose sleep because of that. When anybody dies, the a person remains dead until resurrection, so there is no way a cadaver could stand up to hold my hand. They are helpless, and we have to move them to the position we want them to be on the dissecting tables.
What about the sight of blood?
I don’t dread the sight of blood but I still have feeling when I see it, especially when I see very gory sights (usually from road crashes brought to our teaching hospital emergency unit) but I quickly get over it and do what I am instructed to do. I don’t get scared to the point of running away.
What was your most memorable day as a medical student?
I will always remember the distinction in pathology and surgery viva (oral examination). I sat in front of professors and ‘elders’ in the profession and I was wondering what I could ever say that would impress them enough to award me a distincti

No comments:

Jumia GiveAway Sales on Powerbank- Hurry and get yours!!!!!

Jumia GiveAway Sales on Powerbank- Hurry and get yours!!!!!
click image for details